India is one of the most popular countries of the world owing to its historical background, diversity of cultures, interesting traditions and several other fascinating facts. It is located in South Asia and ranks as seventh largest country in terms of area. Currently, India is the second most populated country of the world. However, according to a UN survey, the country is going to beat China in about fourteen years by ranking first as the world’s most populated country. These facts and many more make India earn a great deal of significance all around the globe.
Consisting of twenty-nine states, there is a wide variety of customs and traditions in the country. Six different languages are spoken while five major religions—Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism and Sikhism—are practiced
Find more interesting facts about India by reading the following discussion.
Facts About Food in India
The Indian cuisine is divided into different categories, each one being popular in different states of the country. The most popular cuisines are Punjabi, South Indian, Bihari and Rajasthani. The Indian food is known for its spicy flavor and tempting aroma. A wide variety of vegetarian dishes are enjoyed in the country due to religious restrictions on eating meat. However, meaty delights are also savored, particularly chicken and fish. At the same time, Indians also share a passion for delicious traditional sweets. All in all, India is a perfect heaven for those who have an appetite for mouthwatering food.
Do you know what kind of peculiarity Indian foods have? Just have a look on the following interesting facts about India:
- No Indian food is complete without a blend of salt and spices including red chilies, ground coriander, allspice, turmeric, cumin, ginger, garlic and cloves. The signature aroma of Indian food is developed through these and several other ingredients.
- Most Indian dishes consist of gravy either with vegetables or meat. It is enjoyed with different types of Indian bread—Chapatti, Paratha, Tandoori Roti and Poori.
- The Indian breakfast consists of a heavy meal. A spicy omelet with Paratha or sweet Halwa with Poori are enjoyed. There is a wide variety of other breakfast items including Idli Dosa, Poha, Dhokla and Vada Pao—all traditional Indian dishes.
- Rice is cooked in a wide variety of forms. One of the most popular rice dishes is Biryani which is spicy, aromatic and full of flavor. It is a must try for tourists who wish to visit India and experience Indian cuisine.
- The names of some of the most famous Indian sweets are Laddu, Gulab Jamun, Jalebi and Halwa. Those who have a sweet tooth must try these delights.
Indian food is as delicious as it sounds. The look of the food is mouthwatering while its taste is extremely satisfying.
The Indian History is very interesting. A number of explorers and settlers invaded different parts of the country throughout the ages due to its rich natural resources. The following information elaborates the county’s historical background in more detail.
- India’s history begins with the Indus Valley Civilization. It settled in the North Western part of the country. The civilization dates back to 3300 BC while it mysteriously perished in around 1300 BC.
- After this followed the Bronze Age and the Iron Age period in the Indo-Gangetic plains of the country. During this period, the famous Mahajanapadas Kingdoms saw their rise.
- Large parts of India were under the famous historical ruler Asoka in the third century BC. During his rule, Buddhism spread to different parts of Asia.
- Hinduism began taking shape during the rule of Maurya Dynasty in India.
- Islam began spreading in the country during the 8th century and was firmly established by the eleventh century. The famous Muslim dynasties of India include Lodhis, Tughlaqs and Mughals.
- The downfall of the Mughals was the result of British takeover of the country. India was ruled by the British for a long time. However, struggles for independence began by the locals in the 20th century. Finally, India became an independent state in 1947.
India’s rich history is the result of the diversity of languages, religions and traditions that have survived till date.
India is a country which experiences different colors and flavors of culture in various ways. Dancing, music and culinary skills are just as important as any other aspect of life.
The following information reveals more about the interesting culture of India.
- Different festivals are celebrated with great joy at different times of the year. Eid, Diwali, Holi, Besakhi are some popular religious festivals enjoyed in India. The Grand Pitcher Festival, also known as the Kumbh Mela, is an extremely colorful festival celebrated by Indian Hindus every twelve years.
- Traditional Indian dancing is known for elegant hand movements. It has always been an important component of worship in Hindu temples.
- Although in modern India love marriages are common, arranged marriages are considered to be more acceptable in the society.
- The religion of Hinduism has created certain taboos in the society which include caste system. The lowest caste is considered to be untouchable while Brahmins rule the hierarchy.
- Traditional Indian dresses are very colorful. Embroidery is common and fancy materials like silk are worn by women on special occasions.
- Indians give a great deal of importance to family life. Joint family systems are common and respect for elders is a must thing.
Indeed, India’s culture is extremely fascinating. The colors and cheerful air which surrounds the food, history and culture of the country have always held the interest of the West.